Diatomaceous earth is a porous powder with microscopic openings that when magnified look like tiny sponges. Clear water can pass through these openings, but particles, as small as two to five microns, are trapped during the first pass through the media. D.E. filters have internal elements that become coated with D.E. It is this ‘filter cake’ that strains dirt, dust and algae from the water.
Similar to sand filters, when D.E. filters become dirty, they are cleaned either by backwashing, or regenerating and draining the clogged D.E. to the ‘waste’ line. To restore filtration, a fresh ‘charge’ of D.E. is added to the filter. For sparkling, clean pools; step up to Hayward D.E. filters.
- In-ground pools
- In-ground spas or in-ground pool/spa combinations
- Combination Pressure and Cleaning-Cycle-Indicator Gauge gives visual indication when filter grid elements need cleaning.
- Manual Air Relief provides an easy way to manually purge air from filter
- Screenless Internal Air Scavenger Tube continuously vents and eliminates clogging.
- High-Strength Filter Tank molded from durable glass reinforced copolymer material for dependable, corrosion-free performance.
- High-Impact Grid Elements designed for up-flow filtration and top-down backwashing for maximum efficiency.
- Self-Aligned Tank Top and Bottom make access to servicing grid elements fast and simple.
- Heavy-Duty, Tamper-Proof One-Piece Clamp securely fastens tank top and bottom together and allows quick access to all internal components without disturbing piping or connections.
- Marked Short Element and Manifold provide clear guidelines for re-assembly of grid elements during cleaning.
- Union Locknuts make disassembly/reassembly of filter from piping fast and easy.
- Bulkhead Fittings that are extra durable and heat resistant.
- Full-Size 1-1/2” Integral Drain provides fast,100% clean-out and easier flushing.
- Plumbing Versatility means a wide variety of valve options for customized control of your filtration system, including Hayward’s 2″, 2-position slide valve.
- Inlet Diffuser Elbow distributes flow of incoming water evenly to all filter elements.